Skip to main content

New to Second Life Photography

Looking through my blog you may notice progress in my pictures.

**Please note: This is a Second Life photography tips post for beginners, if you'd like to know what I am wearing in each pic, simply click on the link below the pictures except the last image. If you'd like to know what I'm wearing in Xiang Mo by Zenith image, scroll to the very bottom of this post.**
 
Over the last week I have found some great tips online that have helped me take better photos in Second Life and I wanted to share them here.

Click here for the list of what I'm wearing above

Lights and Windlight Settings 

When I looked through other people's photo's on Flickr I had no idea how they got such nice looking images. At first I thought they took pictures like my first above and had incredible photoshop skills to make the image look great. Then I learned about windlight settings which you can play around with in Second Life yourself if you like, I downloaded these windlight settings for now until I have the paitience to play with them myself.

Windlight settings change environmental effects within SL by changing the position of the sun and moon, the density and movement of clouds and the colour of the ambient light. This creates light and shadow for your photos which can be very different from Second Life's default day and night cycles. You can have colourful sunsets and different hues over your Second Life world.

To create your own within Second Life go to World > Environment Editor > Sky Presets > Edit (or new) Preset.

I also came across this video by Foxcity which explains how to create lights for your photos. After creating some lights and choosing a preset windlight setting from the ones I downloaded, I managed to create this picture:

Click here for the post about what I'm wearing above

Resolution

So I thought this was a massive improvement on my first picture but was baffled as to how other people's pictures were so much smoother than mine, mine seemed pixely next to theirs. I ran around in circles trying to figure out how to smooth my edges in gimp and then I realised it's resolution!

When you take a snapshot in SL, then go to save to disk, you can choose which resolution to put it at. So I saved my next images at 4920x2606, play around and see what suits you best. Once out of SL you can crop them and size them down if needed but the quality is much higher.



Click here for the post about what I'm wearing above

Brightness, Contrast and Layer Modes

Another tip I want to share with you is one I'm already familiar with as I'm familiar with Gimp. It's brightness/contrast and layer modes.


Above left: Original image straight out of Second Life
Above middle: In Gimp I went to Colors > Brightness-Contrast.. and I played with the levels, moving them up until I was happy with the result.
Above right: In the layers window of gimp I duplicated the image twice. The first (middle) layer I changed to "Addition" and changed it's opacity to 25, the second (top) layer I changed to "Overlay" and changed the opacity to 20.

I recommend playing with different layer modes and opacity levels, different modes will work for different images.

Click here to view the image larger
For the final result I added some shadows on my Avi, on the arms from the top, on the top of the legs from the high socks and skirt, on the breasts from the top and on the face from the hair. You can head to my Flickr page to get a better look at my images as Blogger restricts the size here.

Tropical Xiang Mo

Head: ☯ LAQ ☯ Scarlet
Body: ☯ Maitreya ☯ Lara
Skin: ☯ LAQ ☯ 2.5
Hair: ☯ .Olive. ☯ the Wendy hair
Outfit: ☯ =Zenith= ☯ Xiang Mo complete red set
Background: ☯ Backdrop City

♥✿♥

Follow me on Flickr
Follow me on Twitter

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living Doll

I always love playing around with the look of my avatar in Second Life so in a sense, my avatar is like my doll. I like the idea of sometimes making my avatar a doll but I found that some of the options available limited my clothing options since they were mesh doll bodies like the one I posted about here . So I decided to create my own ball-jointed doll body applier to go onto the tattoo layer of my Maitreya body, this way I get to be a doll without changing my shape or skin! I can dress my doll in anything I like from my inventory! I had fun making it and had fun dressing my doll to create my latest photo! Wearing Head:  ♔  Catwa  ♔ Koura Body:  ♚  Maitreya  ♚ Lara Skin:  ♔  L'Etre  ♔ Ayana Skin [Sandy Tone] Hair:  ♚  Doe ♚ Kiki Ears:  ♔  Pumec  ♔ Valentine's day gift <3 Mesh ears Ball jointed doll tattoo:  ♚  Rariti  ♚  Ball Jointed Doll Tattoo  (My Store!) Top and bottom:  ♔  Zenith  ♔ Body Harness from Summer Yoga Gacha set Skirt:  ♚ Violent Sed

Ice Cream is Always a Good Idea!

One thing I love about Second Life is that it's open for complete creativity. You can be, do or have whatever you like and people's imaginations come alive! The same goes in your first life too, believe in yourself and allow your dreams to come true! Please click image to view larger There's so much fun to be had creating your desires and exploring other people's creations in Second Life. Recently in my exploration I found a fun kawaii type store with sales on! It's called *Epic* and I got these cute skates which include a skating animation as well as heart trail particles. I also got these ice cream wings which can be worn with or without falling heart particles and come with a re-size script. Please note: I stumbled across *Epic*'s sale in world and I don't know when it's ending, I also found that things were on sale in world but on the marketplace were their normal price. I also came across a cute store on the Marketplace called Ninet

You are in Charge of Your Life!

Don't let fear control you... Wearing Head:   ✿   Akeruka   ✿  Cleo Shape:   ✿   Rariti   ✿  Rebecca for [AK] Cleo & Maitreya (My store!) Head Skin:   ✿   The Face   ✿  Tiffany - SPF35 Hair:   ✿   T ruth   ✿  Jayla Puppet w/ Body and outfit:  ✿  Zenith  ✿ Puppet Division Kimono (Rare Gacha) Background:  ✿  Backdrop City  ✿ Kawaii Area ♥✿♥ Follow me on  Flickr Follow me on  Twitter My  Marketplace